Monday, October 12, 2009

Everything happens for a reason.

I don’t exactly know what I’m doing in front of the computer right now. Didn’t I say that I’d start studying (for real) today? Well, I didn’t even touch my books. Or a pen, for that matter.

I don’t know why I have this habit of always studying at the very last minute. Do I need the stress to boost me to work? Do I need to feel like tomorrow I won’t have any hair on my head because I’ve been pulling them out all night while trying to remember the definitions from my textbooks?

I don’t like stress, and I don’t like sleepless nights.

Actually, I do, but not to study. I don’t like going into an exam with my eyes all blurry and my head filled with cotton candy. And then there’s the risk of me closing my eyes for more than three seconds and consequently falling asleep on my paper. So no, I should learn to study well before the exams – five days beforehand.

Riight, like that’s going to happen.

Anyway, as I was typing this blog (earlier), this friend of mine came to talk to me online (on MSN) and was casually asking me what I was doing. I wasn’t going to tell him I was writing a post for my blog. I mean, he’d know I have a blog and he’d want to check it out! I didn’t want that happening.

Because I wouldn’t want to ruin my hidden identity. Not because I plan to talk about him in future posts. Not at all.

So I lied. I told him I was rewriting my maths copybook because I didn’t like my handwriting in the old copybook. This isn’t actually hard to believe coming from me – I don’t like messy handwriting. But in tuitions, I find it so hard to pay attention to the teacher that I barely put any effort in writing down the notes he/she gives. So my handwriting is pretty much impossible to read in my tuition copybooks.

Even I find it difficult to understand my handwriting when I’m duplicating my tuition copybooks in better handwriting.

That’s kind of sad.

So anyway, five seconds after I told him that lie, I went into complete and utter panic. Because I realised I actually had math tuition that day (today)! And I also had less than twenty five minutes to get there on time! I was still in my PJ’s, since I’ve been extremely lazy today – I was even too lazy to get myself something to drink (I didn’t drink all day until three in the afternoon), and I had to get ready in less than five minutes! The other twenty minutes was for the drive to get to my tuition.

But, being me and all, getting ready in five minutes is pretty much an impossible task.

But I did do it. Almost. I got ready in fifteen minutes.

Okay, twenty.

But I wasn’t late to tuition; the teacher was. (:

During that twenty-minute-drive, I realised that lying to that friend of mine was actually a good thing! It reminded me that I had tuition to go to. So what does this mean? When your parents were telling you it’s not good to lie, they were... lying? Because as far as I can tell, lying saved my ass!

Or if you look it another way, my friend saved my ass. In a way. I think.

Anyway.

“Everything happens for a reason.” I live by that quote. And I’m glad I do. It helps me accept a lot of bad things that happen, and it also helps me see – and appreciate – the little things in life that make it what it is. I guess what I’m trying to say is, there was a reason that this friend started a conversation with me and there’s a reason that I felt the need to lie and pretend I was making a second math-tuition copybook. I could have told him I was reading The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, doing yoga or writing up a petition for the cleaning of a church – anything that might have impressed him, really – but no, I talked about my math tuition.

I love those little things that seem to happen for a reason. Which makes me believe that everything does happen for a reason.

I have to admit, though, that it’s not all because I find truth in the words. Part of me wants to believe in that saying because I wouldn’t want to accept the consequences of my making the wrong decision. In other words, I wouldn’t want to accept it if something bad happened because of what I did, said or didn’t do or say. I like blaming fate. But I like that everything is meant to be, more.

So it’s not so bad.

7 comments:

  1. I, too, have a problem with putting off studying until the last minute. For example, I have three hours worth of meetings tonight and the midterm from hell tomorrow and I have not even reviewed the material. I don't think anyone really performs better under the last minute pressure. I just think that waiting unti lthe last minute forces you to be motivated to do what you should've done earlier but just didn't want to!

    Glad you made it to math tuition on time. I don't think lying is a good thing. I admire honesty and truth and try to surround myself with people who possess those qualities. Lying can sometimes be beneficial (lying to a boyfriend or girlfriend you're cheating on keeps them from getting hurt, lying to your parents keeps you out of trouble, lying to your friend got you to math on time) but that still doesn't mean its the right thing to do.

    I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Life is a chain of events and it takes one action to produce another action or a consequence to that first action and these things all shape our lives into what they are.

    Great writing. Love your blog!
    carolinablondeemma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma: I hope your midterm went well! I agree with everything you said. I don't actually think lying is a good thing. Like for you, I guess, white lies only 'help' me in particuliar situations. Thank you for visiting, reading, commenting on and following my blog, I really appreciate it. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see I wasn't, Charlene's comment must have been awaiting moderation... oh well, at least I was right about the location.

    I do hope that in some posts you tell us also a little about Mauritius, it is one of those places in the world that we hear so little about. I would love to know a little. So if you are ever suffering the dreaded "writer's block" you will always have something to fall back on. Some photos would be great too.

    I've Followed this time... can't resist that little button on good blogs.

    AV

    ReplyDelete
  4. AV: Sure! Maybe in a few weeks time. I was planning on going out really often during the holidays, I'll see what I can say about my country. Though it isn't that interesting. You'll see. And thank you! I'm really glad you like my blog. I'm reading your older posts at the moment. (:

    Kate: Thank you! I really need luck right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Telling your friend about the copybook thing was worth keeping the blog a secret? Haha I'd be called a nerd if I copied out my messy writing!

    Speaking of keeping blogs a secret - I was doing pretty well with mine for a while, until I started putting up terms like "lay by", "prince charming" and "mate dates" that I use in normal life. My stalker friends actually googled these words and discovered my blog. Beware! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. youmakemydate: It's part of my peculiarity, I like to believe. ^_^ I actually just googled those words and found your blog, haha. I don't think my friends know what to google to find something related to me. Unless they find my nickname. Oh God.

    I'm sorry your friends discovered your blog. It must have been awkward. I hope this doesn't happen to me. Or maybe it might not be so bad.

    Thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you come by again soon. (:

    ReplyDelete